Tuesday, May 25, 2010

tarah's formal living room

Tarah,

Here are a few ideas for your formal living room. First off, I would place the piano on the adjacent wall to the front door (the wall directly to the left as you walk into the home). I know you were considering putting it somewhere else; however, I think if you put it on the wall I'm suggesting, your furniture arrangement will make more sense. I would use the piano and the wall space above the piano to showcase my favorite family photos. I love it when a piano is adorned with family photos - it's such a warm, familiar look.

I would buy two matching chairs. These chairs should be smaller in scale due to the size of the space. A fully upholstered or overstuffed chair would be too large. Go with a chair that only has an upholstered seat and back cushion - anything less would be uncomfortable. I've included a few suggestions. Also, a settee or loveseat makes more sense given the size of the space. Of course, always measure your space to be sure. However, if my memory serves me correctly, a sofa would be too large.

The pieces I've included are my taste and may not be yours. And, that's okay. Regardless what colors, fabrics, and wood tones you like, the scale of your pieces is what's most important. I love neutrals. The pieces I've included in this post are basic and classic. A neutral color palette allows for lots of different pillow, rug, and window treatment options. I would always suggest buying quality pieces, in classic coverings. So, when you're in the mood to rearrange or redecorate, you can start with swapping out throw pillows – a much cheaper option than buying new furniture.

With the piano on the wall adjacent to the front door, your chairs and settee will face each other. This arrangement will make for easier conversation. Depending upon the space that you have, you may want to place an ottoman or coffee table in between your settee and chairs. I would include a small side table in between your chairs - the perfect spot for a beautiful lamp or flower arrangement.

I'm emailing you a room layout I created in MS word. For some reason, I couldn't get it to post to the blog.

Hope this helps.

xoxo,
Kristen









No comments:

Post a Comment