Wednesday, October 14, 2009

big taste, small budget?

I use the same philosophy in design/decorating as I do when it comes to my wardrobe. Rule: Get basics that will last. For example, I buy good jeans. Yes, they're a little pricey, but they're worth every penny! When you've got a great pair of jeans on, you can get away with wearing a Forever21 top without looking like your whole outfit is from Forever21 (not to knock Forever21, but you know what I mean). For the most part, I splurge on my jeans, shoes (especially boots), and handbags. For every expensive top I buy, I probably buy 1, maybe 2 cheap tops. I'll never buy an expensive scarf. Why? Because it's easy to find cheap scarves that look expensive. I bought at least 10 pashmina+cashmere-blend scarves in Italy last summer for $15 a piece!

If it were up to me, and I could either buy a great sofa that would last for years or an entire living room set of furniture that would need to be replaced sooner rather than later...I would get the sofa. Great rooms evolve over time. Rooms that you love won't be filled with a bunch of things you bought all at once just to take up space but rather with the treasures you've collected over the years from different places you've been and different seasons of your life. Remember, Rome wasn't built in a day.

So, if you can afford it, buy a nice sofa. Buy nice thow pillows and area rugs*. Buy a few nice accessories. Then mix in some less expensive accessories. Hit up T.J. Maxx, Tai Pan, Tuesday Morning, and iKea once a month or so to check out the inventory. Every now and then, you can find a diamond in the ruff at cubic zirconium prices! If you do this right, your entire room will look high end.

*I've noticed in numerous decorating magazines that even rooms with uber expensive furniture will be anchored by a jute rug. Jute rugs are suprisingly affordable and durable and are used in high end spaces all the time. So, if you can't afford that one-of-a-kind, hand tied, vegetable died, pakistani area rug, don't fret. You've got less expensive and still stylish options.

http://www.free-coins.com/images/Free-Ike-Dollars-Coins.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment