Wednesday, October 14, 2009

"let there be light...fixtures"

I'm currently in the process of purchasing new lighting for my home. I've been vascillating for 6 months now on which direction to go. I've decided I want a pendant rather than a chandelier in my entryway, but I've had a devil of a time finding one that's to the scale I need for my space - they're all too narrow. Design Rule: When purchasing a light fixture that will hang in the center of a room and function as your primary statement piece, it's important to make sure it's the right size. So, here's the rule of thumb. Take the width of your room in feet and double that number, and then convert it to inches. If your room is 10 feet wide, then your light fixture should be no less than 20 inches in width. Does that make sense? I know us "right-brainers" don't really care about math, but we've all probably learned the hard way when it comes to making decisions off of incorrect measurements. Remember, measure twice, cut once, 'cause you only got one shot!

Here's what I may do in my entry. I like it because it's less formal than a chandelier.



Design Tip: Be sure to hang your fixtures low enough that they can be seen and appreciated. Obviously, you don't want anybody to hit their head, but you also don't want a fixture that hangs only a few inches, or, in some cases (depending on the height of your ceiling), only a few feet off the ceiling. The bottom tip or underside of a light hanging over a dining table should be roughly 3 to 4 feet above the table top.

This Candice Olson chandelier is a jewel and, even better, a steal of a deal! At only $300 it makes quite the statement! Hopefully, it doesn't look like a $300 chandelier. I think I may just have to order it and find out. I think it would look stunning in my dining room.

http://hi.atgimg.com/img/l/710/7468-6h%20clip.jpg

Word of Wisdom: When mixing and matching different lighting styles and finishes, be careful! If you don't trust your ability to get it right, ask someone. While I'm never a fan of the matchy-matchy look, I also know that grouping different pieces together in a space can end up looking hodge-podge - kind of like when every bedroom in the house has differnt carpet. (If that's the case in your home, please don't be offended.) Sometimes it's just better to be consistent. So, again, before you shell out the big bucks on lighting, if you're an amateur at this, ask someone who knows!

No comments:

Post a Comment