Friday, October 16, 2009

well versed

http://www.artsjournal.com/bookdaddy/Home_Photo_books.jpg

I LOVE spaces that use books as a focal point. Books have so much character, so much charm. A well-filled bookshelf makes a room feel intelligent, inspired, sophisticated, creative, warm, etc., etc., etc. How often do you hear people say, "I want to curl up in front of a fire, with a cup of hot cocoa, and a good book."? Good books make us feel good, and they happen to look good too!

For the last 16 months, I've been heavily entrenched in an extensive home re-model. I ripped out an existing built-in (it was built to accomodate an old television) and replaced it with a bookshelf containing a whopping 24 shelves! That's alot of book, people! I had a ladder built and installed to give the unit a more "library-ish" feel. Here's what I've done so far. As you can see, I've got a lot of books to buy. I'll post more pictures after I get it done, or just more finished because I doubt I'll ever be done fiddling with the way I've got the shelves arranged.

**I'm having technical difficulties. For some reason my computer isn't retrieving the photos off my camera. I'll post photos as soon as I can.**

Design Tips:
- You can use a bookshelf as a focal wall behind a sofa and even headboard. It's ok if you block access to some of the shelves. In fact, that might be nice because it cuts down on the amount of shelves you have to fill.

- You can hang pictures on your bookshelves.

- Try to avoid over accessorizing your shelfs. If you've got no more than three books grouped together in between accessories, I suggest you buy more books and cut back on your accessories. Thin clusters of books scattered around a bookcase won't give you that rich, library feel.

- Stack books both vertically and horizontally. I'd suggest stacking your larger, coffee table-sized books horizontally to take up more space.

- Good accessories to use in a bookcase include: clocks, plates, ceramics, small decorative boxes, small statues/carvings, awards/trophies (pretty ones, of course!), picture frames, and all of the other little nic-nacs that you love!

Here are some photographs of bookshelves I find very visually stimulating. Enjoy!

Cover Your Cases

Lighting Basics

Consider the Flow

Arranging Books

No comments:

Post a Comment